The Cost of Children
I read an article this week showing the real cost of raising children. What was interesting was that it also listed what you got for your money. The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with a total of £67,716 for an average UK family. That doesn’t even touch college tuition. But it’s not too bad if you break it down. It translates into:
· £3762 a year,
· £313.50 month, or * just under £80 a week.
· That’s a mere £11 a day!
· Just under 50p an hour.
Still, you might think the best financial advice is not to have children if you want to be “rich.” Actually, it is just the opposite.
What do you get for your £67, 716
- Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
- Glimpses of God every day.
- Giggles under the covers every night.
- More love than your heart can hold.
- Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
- Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
- A hand to hold, usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
- A partner for blowing bubbles, flying kites
- Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.
For £67,716, you never have to grow up. You get to:
- carve pumpkins,
- play hide-and-seek,
- catch lightning bugs, and
- never stop believing in Santa Claus. You have an excuse to:
- keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh,
- watching Saturday morning cartoons,
- going to Disney movies, and
- wishing on stars.
- You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother’s Day, and cards with backward letters for Father’s Day.
For £67716, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for:
- retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof,
- taking the training wheels off a bike,
- removing a splinter,
- filling a paddling pool,
You get a front row seat to history to witness the:
· first step,
· first word,
· first tooth under the pillow for the tooth fairy,
· first date, and
· first time behind the wheel.
With children you get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you’re lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great grandchildren. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match.
In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits.
So one day they will like you, love, without counting the cost. That is quite a deal for the price!!!!!!!
Find more resources for church here
If you find the website helpful and would like to donate, thank you! You can do so, easily, through Paypal.